Students must complete a total of 58 credit hours, maintain a minimum 2.0 overall GPA, and earn a minimum GPA of 2.5 in the 9 required hours and an overall 2.0 in all their major courses. Students must complete 30 hours of approved courses. Majors must complete all university and college requirements for graduation. These include cluster or GEC requirements, foreign language requirements, fine arts and international studies requirements. For the complete list of university and college requirements, see the appropriate advisor’s checklist (below):
Required Courses (9 hours):
- WMST 170 Introduction to Women’s Studies (3 hr.)
- WMST 330 Feminist Theory (3 hr.)
- WMST 494 Seminar (3 hr.) Note: Spring Only. Prerequisites for WMST 494 are WMST 170 and 3 electives or instructor’s consent.
Elective Courses (21 Hours):
- Minimum 12 credit hours of advanced electives (courses numbered at 300 or 400 level) from the current list of approved courses & instructors. Copies of this list are also available in 218 Eiesland Hall.
- A maximum of 9 hours of intermediate (100 or 200 level) courses from the list of approved courses & instructors.
- No more than 6 hours from one department (WMST courses exempted).
- Up to two 3-hour approved courses from student’s second major (or minor) may also count toward the major in women’s studies.
- Six hours of WMST 495 Independent study or WMST 491 Field Experience may substitute for one elective course.